Nuffnang

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Dog-Tired

Have you ever had one of those days when you come home from work or play (for humans and canines) and all you want to do is flop down on the bed and fall asleep? Well, in that case, you are feeling dog-tired. (Thanks Martha Basset for your phrase contribution). The definition of dog-tired is drained of energy or effectiveness; extremely tired; completely exhausted. Unfortunately, my research on the origin of this phrase yielded zero results. So, I had to come out with my own beagle theory based on my own observation and life experience.

I reckon the human who came up with this phrase probably had a dog, perhaps even a beagle, that may have just looked like me. Anyway, the human must have observed a day in the life of his dog and saw this...

A tree climbing dog


A tree destroying dog


A sprinting dog


A rock climbing dog


He then saw the after effects of all that activity...


And came up with the phrase "Dog-tired". It is so true. Just look at the face of your dog after these activities and you can see the "tired look". So, it really is a pretty straightforward dog phrase without any need to go back to Old England like our last phrase "Hair of the Dog that Bit You".

I found this quirky quote on the phrase. Enjoy!

“Growl all day ...



and you'll feel dog tired all night.”

10 comments:

Martha said...

Hi There
Yes that was a thorough explanation of dog-tired! We are dogone impressed.
Lovely pictures.
love
Martha & Bailey xxxx

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Tank woo fur the explaining that one - we might get tired from all that but we recharge in a SNAP!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: I'm khurrently napping so I khan be ready fur Mom's return from the office!

TWa76 said...

Great explanation! Last weekend there would been great shots off me in national championships. Moms friends where laughing for me when I was sleeping in moms lap in audience. I did not even wake up about people yelling next to me on final tracks. *grin*

Love Lenni :)

Lorenza said...

Hi, Kess!
Now I know the meaning of dog-tired much better!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Sapphire said...

haha! love the reflection on the floor (:

Cinnamon and Mint said...

Cookie and Cinnamon agrees that the person who coined this expression probably had a beagle! Do-tired is always a result of a great day!!

Anonymous said...

Dog-tired?
I become dog-tired when I play with Cameo, and he becomes dog-tired when he plays with me - and Mercury becomes dog-tired watching us play...and then we all have the same look on our faces that you have in your pictures:)

Thanks for visiting:) I too am happy to be back.

Licks n wags,
Oorvi

Molly the Airedale said...

Mitch gets dog-tired a lot! He wants to be with dad all the time and he really needs to take a nap like I do but he keeps on pushing and then at the end of the day he just collapses!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Agatha and Archie said...

PL2 loves it when we are "dog tired!!!!!! Love and kisses A+A

Life With Dogs said...

Trouble is the best medicine for dog insomnia. :)

Thanks for signing my guest book.