Nuffnang

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Beagle's First Outing in Sai Kung

My last trip to the vet doesn't count as a proper outing. So, this beagle was quite excited to actually go on a proper outing. We live on HK island - highly populated and densely built up. On my first outing, my humans and I went over to the mainland, past Kowloon, to a beautiful place called Sai Kung, a country park in the New Territories, about an hour's drive from HK island.


Since we don't have a car yet, my humans hired a van to take us there. As always, this beagle loves a car ride and took in the city sights, which gradually changed to countryside as we travelled away from the island.


The main purpose of our trip to Sai Kung was actually to visit a dog boarding place there. Since my humans had to travel for work, they had to find a place for me to stay when they are away. Now, there are boarding places on HK island, but most of them require the dogs to be in a kennel of some sort. But at DBDogsDayz in Sai Kung, the dogs are allowed to roam free in a home environment, with a back garden (which is a real treat in HK) and indoor air conditioned room to chill out in. The owner, Andrew requires a pre-boarding visit to ensure that the dogs can adjust to living with other dogs, which my humans thought was a good idea.

On the day of our visit, DBDogsDayz was at full capacity. Initially, I was a little apprehensive entering into the garden with a pack of 20 canines - large and small. But, after the customary butt sniffing, I finally settled down in a corner, whilst my humans chatted with Andrew. All went well with the pack.



After the visit, we headed into Sai Kung town. My humans had a dim sum brunch at a seafood restaurant by the pier, whilst this beagle sat patiently by the table (In Malaysia, it is rare for restaurants to allow dogs. In HK, some restaurants allow dogs at their outdoor seating area).


I tell you the seafood doesn't get any fresher than this.


After a very delicious lunch (unfortunately, there were no dim sum treats for this beagle, although my human did give me a liver treat for sitting so patiently), we took a walk by the pier and checked out the vendors selling fresh seafood from their boats.


All in all, it was a pretty good outing indeed, as can be seen by my happy face.


Note from Kess' Mama: Whilst it has been challenging adjusting to living in such a busy city, it really is lovely to be able to go to the country side with Kess and take her openly to a town or a pier. In Malaysia, we would not have been able to do so because dogs just wouldn't have been allowed. At the Sai Kung pier, people were walking their dogs, enjoying time together on a weekend. It's such a treat for us to be able to experience this with Kess.

13 comments:

Bobby Allan said...

That is lovely that Kess can experience all of these things with you. Great pictures!

Sapphire said...

DBDogsDayz looks very nice! Good Kess, you adjust so easily, I'm sure your parents are so proud of you!

No DimSum for you? Hehe, being able to follow your parents out is already a big treat isn't?

I hope you Mom and Dad will continue to settle and adjust just great living in HK. We miss you :,)

Molly the Airedale said...

You look like you had a great time, Kess, and we like the dog camp. It sounds perfect!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

KEY WEST COLLIES said...

Sounds like you have found a wonderful place for Kess to stay when you travel.

Essex

The Black and Tans. said...

Kess we hope you have a wonderful time when you go to the doggie day camp. We bet you will make loads of new friends.

MOlly, Taffy, Monty and Winnie

Cinnamon and Mint said...

I am glad that you have found a wonderful dog-friendly place not too far away from where you live!

Martha said...

Sorry we are so far behind with your blog Kess!
Your life is indeed an adventure. We enjoyed seeing the photos of your trip.
We thought you did very well on your visit to the dog kennel - we would not have coped with 20 dogs!
That sounds much better to us than sitting in a kennel all day.
love
Martha and Bailey xx

D.K. Wall said...

Sounds like you have found a great place to hang out while the humans go earn some kibble.

Shane Kent Louis said...

Kess we hope you have a wonderful time! Nice photos i have a great time viewing on it! :)

Dog Fence

alfiestar said...

Really enjoy reading your blog I love your pictures and your adventures

Louisette said...

Hello from Belgium+2 golden retriever

Joanne-Marie said...

Kess, you're gorgeous!
Kess's momma, you write really well! ;) I was just recently in saikung and was writing about the dogs and al fresco dining there. D'ya think I could use one of your pics in my blog? I'll link you! (Sorry I wanted to email you in private, but I couldn't find your email address!)

alfiedoggie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thanks for signing my guest book.